Specialized Career Functions
- Professional Development and Consultant services for: YWCA. Project for Pride in Living, Urban Ventures, and Solid Foundation to improve services to housing recipients with mental health diagnosis.
- Diversity, Inclusion and Workplace Bullying training to reduce litigations, and increase fair organizational cultures.
- Mental Health First Aid Instructor for communities to learn basic mental health facts and resources for recovery.
Empower Therapeutic Services
March 2016- Present
- Deliver individual, group and family psychotherapy for a broad range of clients
- Provide clinical supervision to individuals seeking licensure, as well as Solutions’ community based programming.
- Develop and monitoring individual treatment plans, designed to restore the client’s personal functioning.
- Utilize online therapy for distant and rural communities.
NorthPoint Behavioral Health- Minneapolis, MN
September 2013 to Present
- Facilitate Domestic Violence and Empowerment Women’s Group that provides psychoeducational and therapeutic services.
- Provide cognitive behavior therapy and services to adults, children/ adolescents, and their families with an emphasis on mindfulness and reality training.
- Administer, score, and interpret various mental health tools, instruments, and tests as appropriate to crisis intervention and stabilization.
- Record notes and data pertaining to client progress; write comprehensive reports of client histories, diagnosis, and treatment recommendations.
- Participate as a member of a multi-disciplinary adult crisis or child crisis response team.
Functional Family Therapist
First Home Care – Washington, DC
July 2012 to November 2012
- Utilized evidenced-based therapy, Functional Family Therapy, with at risk youths and their families.
- Incorporated community based resources to help family continue therapeutic work.
- Collaborated and maintain relationships with community workers to create a holistic approach to counseling.
- Initiated relentless engagement with children and their families to build hope, family alliances, and positive change
Lead Residential Substance Abuse Counselor
nce Abuse CounselorOlivia’s House – Birmingham, AL June 2010 to April 2012
- Provided intense therapeutic counseling intervention to over 30 women and their children daily.
- Taught parenting and life skills for clients obtaining legal custody of their children.
- Administered and review appropriate psychosocial assessments.
- Educated clients on cognitive behavioral techniques to assist with relapse prevention.
- Supervised interns over 7-month period teaching therapeutic techniques, treatment planning, and performing quality assurance on client’s charts.
- Consulted with government officials and agencies on client’s progress, urinalysis, and transitional living plans.
- Utilized AA/NA principles through the emphasis of working the 12-steps, attending meetings and obtaining a sponsor.
Substance Abuse Assistant Counselor
Fellowship House – Birmingham, AL June 2007 to December 2008
- Assisted 72 clients with life skills to readjust into a sober lifestyle utilizing the twelve-step method.
- Mediated crisis situations by identifying client’s needs and negotiating appropriate resolutions using program guidelines.
- Facilitated therapeutic process groups for over 75 dually-diagnosed disordered clients by teaching social and independent living skills.
- Improved program standards by sending “Quality of Service Surveys” to over 25 community
- Ensured accountability of client’s admittance or discharge by communicating with law enforcement.
Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology Argosy University – Washington, DC
May 2010 to September 2016
Master of Art in Community Counseling Argosy University- Atlanta, GA
August 2006 to October 2009
NOTABLE CAREER CONTRIBUTIONS
- Brooklyn Park Human Rights Commissioner
- The Colors of Relationship Podcast http://www.colorsofrelationships.buzzsprout.com
- Sister Spokesman Guest Speaker, March 2016
Panel discussion on various elements of mental health and resources within the community.
- MACMH Conference, March 2016
Presenting topic: Engaging Adolescence and their Families Involved with the Juvenile Justice System by Increasing Participation through the use of Functional Family Therapy (FFT).
- CPS Domestic Violence Presentation Panel, May 2015
Presented during the CPS monthly staffing meeting about Domestic Violence and the effect CPS has on the families once intervention occurs.
- Insight News Articles 2015
Published articles for Insight Newspaper: No need to fear, just calm the atmosphere and The art of sitting with grandma’s loving hands.
- Ethics in Distance Counseling Presentation, Maryland Counseling Association, Nov. 2014
Presented in Virginia on ethical components concerning distance counseling and its benefits within the counseling community.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, Research Volunteer, Aug. 2004-Dec. 2004
Gathered empirical data from dementia patients and measured correlations between face recognition and their duration of memory.
- Behavioral Guidance, Social Work Internship, June 2004-Aug. 2004
Mentored over 20 children with behavioral concerns by creating treatment plans, and connecting their families with community resources.